Now there's an app for every media type
A user's music and video collection can be one of the largest consumers of hard drive space on a Mac, and is typically overlooked in favor of other items when it comes time to free up drive space. Feb 25, 2020 Click the Download button to begin downloading iTunes. The Mac will download the iTunes installer program to your default download location. On most recent Macs, it goes to the Downloads folder, but you may have changed it to something else. When the download is complete, the installer displays in a new window automatically.
With macOS Catalina, your music, videos, podcasts, and audiobooks are organized in to their own dedicated apps — the Apple Music app, Apple TV app, Apple Podcasts app, and Apple Books app. You can also access your iTunes Store purchases in these apps.
If you have a PC, you can continue to use iTunes for Windows to manage your media library, make purchases, and manually sync and manage your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Use Finder to sync and manage your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Finder is the new place to back up, update, or restore your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Just connect your device to your Mac and it appears in the Finder sidebar. And you can easily drag and drop files to your device.
Use Finder to manage your devices.
Upgrade your iTunes library
After you update to macOS Catalina, just open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app to use your iTunes library in the new apps. Have multiple iTunes libraries? Learn how to switch between them in macOS Catalina.
If you open the Apple Podcasts app or Apple Books app first, you won't see any of your media until you open the Apple Music app or Apple TV app.
Here are some things to know
- The Apple Music app and Apple TV app read the contents of your iTunes library — so don't delete your iTunes library.
- If you open the Apple Music app and don't see all of your album artwork, leave the Apple Music app open so your album artwork can finish downloading.
- If you previously used multiple iTunes libraries, your audiobooks are imported in to the Apple Books library and podcasts are imported in to the Apple Podcasts library on your computer.
Where's my media?
Here's where you can find your entire media collection, access your iTunes Store purchases, and synced libraries.
All of your music is now in the Apple Music app
The Apple Music app is where you can find all of your music, including music that you imported in to iTunes, purchased from the iTunes Store, and playlists and smart playlists that you created in iTunes. And if you subscribe to Apple Music, you can stream and download millions of songs, and access your entire music library across all of your devices.
Explore the Apple Music app.
Looking for the iTunes Store?
If you don't see the iTunes Store in the sidebar, here's how to find it:
- Open the Apple Music app.
- In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences.
- Go to the General tab and select iTunes Store.
- Click OK.
Everything you watch is now in the Apple TV app
The Apple TV app is the new home for all of your movies, TV shows, and home videos — including your purchases from iTunes. Browse movies and TV shows that you can buy, rent movies, and subscribe to just the channels that you want to watch. And soon you can discover new favorites with Apple TV+.
Discover the Apple TV app.
Find podcasts in the Apple Podcasts app
Find all of the shows that you’ve subscribed to or added to iTunes in the Apple Podcasts app. Continue listening to your favorite podcast episodes. And discover new shows that you might like based on the ones that you’re already listening to.
Listen with the Apple Podcasts app on your iPhone or iPad.
Listen with the Apple Podcasts app on your Mac.
Listen to audiobooks in the Apple Books app
Find your audiobooks, including the ones that you purchased from iTunes, in the Apple Books app. Discover new books to read in the Book Store. Or buy audiobooks from the new Audiobook Store so you can listen on the go.
Check out the Apple Books app.
The Apple Music app, Apple TV app, Apple Podcast app, and Apple Books app aren’t available in all countries and regions. Learn what’s available in your country or region.
iTunes 12.7 removed the iOS app store, which meant you couldn’t buy or manage your iPhone and iPad apps when your devices are connected to your Mac. Some people don’t like it, and if you really don’t want to change your ways, there’s a workaround: You can install iTunes 12.6.3 and get back access to the iOS app store.
There is a catch, though. Apple provides support only for the latest version of iTunes, which means that iTunes 12.6.3 is not supported by the company and you can’t get technical support if you need it.
iTunes 12.6.3 was originally released to address the needs of businesses and enterprise customers that prefer the app management method built into iTunes prior to version 12.7.
You can learn more about iTunes 12.6.3 by reading Apple’s knowledgebase article.
How to install iTunes 12.6.3
If you’ve already installed iTunes 12.7, you can run the installer for version 12.6.3 and it will replace version 12.7. But there are a few additional steps you need to perform to get 12.6.3 to work.
If you are using iTunes 12.6.2, you don’t have to upgrade to 12.6.3.
Click the link below to download iTunes 12.6.3 for Mac.
Here are the instructions to installing iTunes 12.6.3 over iTunes 12.7.
- After downloading the installer, double click the disk image file called iTunes12.6.3.dmg. (It should be in your Downloads folder, or whatever folder you’ve designated as the download location.)
- In the window that opens, you can read the Read Before You Install iTunes document. Double-click on Install iTunes to run the installer.
- As you navigate through the installer, you’ll need to enter your user password to proceed. The installation takes a few minutes.
- When the installer finishes, it will ask if you want to move it to the Trash. Click Move to Trash. After that, you’ll find iTunes 12.6.3 in your Applications folder.
How to fix the ‘iTunes Library.itl’ problem with iTunes 12.6.3
If you had iTunes 12.7 and want to replace it with iTunes 12.6.3, there are a few more steps you need to do. You have to reassign the library that iTunes uses, because iTunes doesn’t like it when you are using a previous version to access a library created by the current version. You’ll see the message below. Click Quit. Do not click Download iTunes, because this will download iTunes 12.7.
Here’s how to fix it.
- Go to your Applications folder and look for the iTunes icon. Hold down on the Option key while you double-click iTunes.
- You should see the message above. You can click Create Library, and this will make a brand-new library. If you click Choose Library, you might be able to access an older library, like the one you had before installing iTunes 12.7. You can click on Choose Library, and it should automatically take you to your iTunes folder; if not, you’ll find it in your Music folder. You may have a folder called Previous iTunes Libraries (see below). Open that folder, and then look for a recent .itl file. Select it can click Open. If it’s not the library you want, you can redo these steps and select a different .itl file.
Download Itunes On Macbook Air
- After you select your library file (or create a new one), iTunes will launch and you’ll find the iOS app store, as well as the sections to organize your iOS apps.