How do I install Python on Mac Catalina? Installing Python 3 in Mac OS. Run python –version and you’ll find that it is some version of python 2.7 then run pip -version and you’ll find that it is some version of python 2.7 pip. Run brew install python3. Run brew postinstall python3 in order to install pip3 the latest package manager. I am running MacOS Catalina.When you install Python you automatically get pip. After I downloaded the latest version of Python onto my Mac, I then went into the Terminal to check if pip was instal.
A quick tutorial on how set up a simple macOS VM in QEMU, accelerated by KVM. Jump over the break to learn more…
WHAT IS KVM?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a virtualization module in the Linux kernel that allows the kernel to function as a hypervisor.
KVM converts Linux into a type-1 (bare-metal) hypervisor and requires a processor with hardware virtualization extensions, such as Intel VT or AMD-V.
- ALSO READHOW TO: Dual Boot macOS and Linux
- ALSO READHOW TO: Install macOS Catalina in a Docker Container on Linux
- ALSO READHOW TO: Install macOS Big Sur With OpenCore on Linux
- Qemu 3.1 or later
- KVM modules enabled
- A Mac computer is NOT required
1. Install dependencies. You might also want to install git (not shown in the screenshot ). Depending on your distro:
- For Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, and PopOS:
sudo apt-get install qemu-system qemu-utils python3 python3-pip
- For Arch and Arch based distros:
sudo pacman -S qemu python python-pip
- For Void:
sudo xbps-install -Su qemu python3 python3-pip
- For openSUSE Tumbleweed:
sudo zypper in qemu-tools qemu-kvm qemu-x86 qemu-audio-pa python3-pip
- For Fedora:
sudo dnf install qemu qemu-img python3 python3-pip
2. Clone this git
cd to path.
jumpstart.sh to download installation media for macOS (internet connection required). The default installation uses macOS Catalina, but you can choose which version to get by adding either
--catalina. For example:
4. Create an empty hard disk using qemu-img, changing the name and size to preference:
qemu-img create -f qcow2 MyDisk.qcow2 64G
NOTE: Change “MyDisk” to your preffered disk name. Change “64G” to your prefered disk size ( min. 20G )
sudo nano basic.sh and add this at the end:
Save the changes and exit.
NOTE: change “MyDisk” to your disk name set in previous step.
7. Boot into macOS Catalina Installer
8. Go to “Disk Utility” and format your disk
9. Once your disk is ready, you can install macOS Catalina. From now on, it’s your typical macOS install. No extra steps required.
10. You’re done! To fine-tune the system and improve performance, look in the docs folder for more information on adding memory, setting up bridged networking, adding passthrough hardware (for GPUs), tweaking screen resolution, and enabling sound features. For further support, check out the official github page.
Checking Python Installation
Starting from macOS Catalina, Python2 & Python3 is installed by default in macOS.You can check by entering
python3 --version command in Terminal.
python2 --version or
python --version to check if python2 was installed. Remember entering just
python defaults to python2.
Pip also called as Pypi is a package manager for python. For installing new packages and to update existing packages for our projects, we need pip.
But there’s no pip installed by default. We have to install pip by downloading and running python file get-pip.py.
- Download get-pip.py file.
- Go to the directory where get-pip.py file exists and execute file by entering
- You can check installation by entering
Note: Open new terminal window to check pip installation so that environment variables take in effect.
Macos Catalina Install Pip3
Because different projects may have different python versions and packages, it is a better approach to create virtual environments for your projects to avoid dependency errors across projects.
Creating a virtual environment makes less overhead in future.
Create Virtual Environment
Install python packge
virtualenv by using below command.
To create a virtual environment you have to specify the path to the directory
virtualenv <path and name of virtual environment>
To create virtual environment named ‘myvenv’ in current directory enter below command.
Install Pip Mac
Activate Virtual Environment
Macos Catalina Install Pip Windows 10
To activate virtual environment on mac/linux enter
for windows enter
You can see the name of virtual environment preceeding in your terminal.
Deactivate Virtual Environment
Osx Catalina Install Pip
For getting out of virtual environment to use your actual environment type ‘deactivate’.
Macos Catalina Install Pipeline