Creating a bootable USB installer for macOS Sierra. Follow these steps to create a bootable USB installer. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and note the volume name of the drive as it.
MacOS – Sierra Bootable USB If a new version of macOS becomes available, there are a lot of people who are considering a clean installation, a so-called clean install. This can come in handy when you restore the Mac factory settings. A problematic Mac PC with OS X or MacOS Sierra 10.12 or a later version. TransMac software trial version would be sufficient. 16GB flash storage. A copy of macOS DMG file. Steps to Create a macOS bootable USB on Windows 10/8/7 PC. To use the latest macOS version to make a bootable USB drive, take these steps.
- If you want to do a clean install of macOS Sierra, or you have multiple Macs to install it on, then a bootable flash drive for is your best bet for easy installation. Here’s how to make one.
- Release the Option key when you see a dark screen showing your bootable volumes. Select the volume containing the bootable installer. Then click the up arrow or press Return. If you can't start up from the bootable installer, make sure that the External Boot setting in Startup Security Utility is set to allow booting from external media.
In order to make bootable USB of macOS high Sierra, you will need an 8gb or higher USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 drive. Note: By using USB 3.0 you might face some issues while booting into the installer, in that case, please try using USB 2.0 drive.
If you’re using both Windows and macOS, you’ve to deal with when mac refuses to boot. The reason behind can be from a number of things that could go wrong. This includes system failure, bad updates, power failure, hardware failure. Unless there is a hardware problem that only can be diagnosed at the apple center you can fix your Apple computer.
It is an excellent practice always to have a bootable macOS USB, which you can easily create using macOS operating system. But since we’re here, you probably can want to make bootable USB using Windows 10. Let’s be real, and there are more Windows computers compared to MAC. Fortunately, you can use a Windows computer to create a bootable USB flash drive.
In this article, we’ll help you with the instructions to create a bootable MacOS USB installation media from a Windows 10 computer. So that you can use that USB to install or reinstall (upgrade) Apple’s MacOS. You can create a macos Catalina/sierra bootable USB using this guide to fix your operating system.
You will need a few things before you get started. The first essential thing in it is a USB drive would be awesome if you use a USB 3.0, but you can get the work done using slow USB as well. So, in contrast, you need these following things.
- One high-quality USB flash drive with 16GB of storage.
- TransMac software.
- MacOS operating system image (DMG file).
How to Create a macos Catalina bootable usb
The guide is simple and straightforward if you follow thiese step.
Download and install TransMac on your Windows PC. It’s paid software with 15-day trial, so you can use it within the time to create a bootable MacOS USB flash drive. If you like the software and to support the developer you can buy the full version.
Plug the USB drive to your Windows computer that you’ll be using to fix your MacOS. And we are going to tell you something straightforward – backup if things stored in USB Drive.
Step 1. Open the TransMac, and select Run as administrator. If you’re using the trial version, wait 15 seconds, and click Run.
Step 2. Use your USB drive right-click on it and select format disk format this will format the USB drive so that it can be used to store the Mac OS operating system. One thing you need took care of that the USB drive needs in GPT partition in order to work on a Mac computer otherwise it won’t boot.
When it prompts select a name for your USB it doesn’t matter but just do it and click ok. If the formatting completed successfully, click OK to continue.
Step 3. Again from the left sidebar right-click on the USB drive and select restore with disk image.
Step 4. Now browse to the location where the Mac OS system image file is located and click ok to load it.
Step 5. Click Yes to create the macOS USB bootable media.
It will take a few minutes to complete the process because the Mac Operating System is larger than any other operating systems like Windows and LINUX in size. Now plug the USB drive to Mac computer in order to install, install or upgrade the operating system to the latest version of Mac OS, which can be Sierra or later.
THE TOOL CAN
- Apple File System (APFS) volume read support.
- Open Mac APFS/HFS/HFS+ format disk drives, flash drives, CD/DVD/Blu-ray media, HD floppies, dmg, dmgpart, sparsebundle and sparseimage files.
- Copy files to Mac HFS+ disks and dmg images.
Format as HFS+ for Mac .
- Save and restore images of disks and flash drives.
- Create, compress, expand and split dmg files.
- Built in burner functionality to burn ISO and dmg files directly to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray.
- Read Mac multisession and hybrid CDs.
- View partition layout.
How to create a GPT partition on a USB flash drive
If the USB flash drive is not working using TransMac, it could be still a partition problem. In this case, you want to redo the entire process again, but this time use the following steps to use the Diskpart command-line utility on Windows to create the appropriate GPT partition.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Type cmd in run dialog or open it from the start menu.
- Type the diskpart command and press Enter. This will display that is connected to your computer.
- Enter the list disk command to view all drives connected to your computer and press Enter. This command will show all of the partitions inside of a disc.
- Type the select disk command followed the number assigned for the USB flash drive (e.g., select disk 4), and press Enter. This command will select the disc partition of your choice.
- Enter the clean command and press Enter. This erases and formats the disc.
- Type the convert GPT command and press Enter. This convert master boot record to new GPT.
- Enter the create partition primary command and press Enter to complete the process.
Quickly create a macOS bootable USB on Windows
How To Make Bootable Sierra Usb
Now make bootable USB using the TransMac software (follow instructions that are given above). Now connect the USB and power on your Mac computer while holding the option key and then select the USB Flash media to run the installation.
Learn using USB on MAC (Apple support page)
Learn more about making bootable USB.
In addition to macOS, Apple has released macOS high sierra. macOS High Sierra is the successor of macOS sierra. With it’s every release apple updates macOS with new features, new design, better security, more stability and better performance. As you know any of the macOS cannot be officially installed on any non-apple hardware, because of this reason installing macOS on PC was never an easy job. In this article, I will show how to create a bootable USB of macOS high sierra on windows 10.
Step 1. Downloading the required files.
Download the macOS high sierra DMG file from this link.
Download Transmac from their official website or you can download it directly from here.
In this tutorial, I am going to use the Transmac software to create the bootable USB drive from windows. Transmac is a paid software, however, it offers 15 days of trial which is enough for you to create the bootable USB.
Step 2. Installing Transmac.
After downloading the setup.exe double-click it to open and follow the procedure displayed in the setup to install.
See also: Beginner’s guide to patching DSDT in Hackintosh.
Step 3. Making the bootable USB drive.
In order to make bootable USB of macOS high Sierra, you will need an 8gb or higher USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 drive.
Note: By using USB 3.0 you might face some issues while booting into the installer, in that case, please try using USB 2.0 drive.
1. Insert the USB drive into your computer and then right click on the transmac app and select “run as administrator”. Running as administrator is required as we will format the USB drive through the transmac app.
2. Now right click on the USB drive you inserted and click “Format for mac”.
Note: This action will format the drive and the data inside the drive will be lost, so before formatting the USB drive, please make sure that the drive you selected is your removable USB drive, not any other drive and also make sure that you backup all the data to a separate drive.
3. After the formatting is done again right click the USB drive and click “Restore with Disk Image”. Click “yes” on the warning about erasing data, then click on the select file button and select the macOS high sierra dmg file that you have downloaded earlier and click OK.
4. Now it’s time to sit back and relax as the process will take time to complete. After the progress bar is finished, your bootable USB of macOS high sierra is ready.
Note: After the USB drive is formatted as mac or the dmg is restored successfully windows will give you an alert to format the drive due to incompatible file-system, but don’t click format otherwise you have to start over again.
See also: How to dual boot MacOS sierra and windows 10 in Hackintosh.
Step 4. Configuring Clover Bootloader.
Clover Bootloader is the key to install macOS on PC. It fakes the macOS installer to think that it is going to install on a real Macintosh. Clover is already included in the above high sierra DMG file and is restored into the USB. However, we need to configure it according to our system’s configuration or importantly graphics configuration.
- First download clover configuration plist files from here as zip.
- Then navigate to EFI/efi/clover/
- Now delete the file named config.plist
- Extract the configuration files zip and select the file which contains your internal graphics card name. i.e: config_HD615_620_630_640_650.plist for Intel HD 630. Then copy it into EFI/efi/clover and rename it as config.plist
Note: The EFI drive is present in the USB drive. So it must be plugged in.
Make Usb Bootable For Sierra
Now the configuration is done and you can proceed towards installation steps.
Make Bootable Sierra Usb
Sierra Dmg Bootable Usb
Step 5. Installing macOS high sierra.
Before we try to boot the macOS installer we need to make some changes to our BIOS settings. Just to spoof the macOS installer so it thinks that we are booting the installer from a real mac, else we will face a disabled boot screen or a message saying “macOS cannot be installed on this device”.
Sierra Bootable Usb
Make Bootable Sierra Usb From Windows
1. Reboot your PC and just after you see the manufacturer logo quickly press the “F2” button or press it several times until you see the BIOS menu. To boot into the BIOS settings menu.
Sierra Bootable Usb Windows
2. Change the following settings:-
- SATA mode: AHCI
- CMS support: Enabled
- Secure Boot: Disabled
- Virtualization: Disabled (optional, I haven’t faced any issues keeping it enabled till now but might cause one in some hardware).
- DVMT Pre-allocated: 64 MB or Highest.
DVMT Pre-allocated option is to set the internal GPU memory. Most laptops come with 32mb fixed allocated memory, it causes an error while booting into macOS sierra or Higher versions on Intel skylake or higher architecture CPUs. It is not a common option and might not be available in your BIOS settings. Setting it to 64mb or higher eliminates the need of applying miniStolen patch.
High Sierra Bootable Usb Installer
Make Bootable Mac Os High Sierra Usb
3. Now after changing the BIOS options, plug in the bootable USB drive and power on the machine.
High Sierra Bootable Usb
4. Now again boot into BIOS by tapping “F2”, and open the “boot menu” and select your bootable USB drive from the “Boot drive” menu.
5. If you selected the correct drive in the above step, you should see the clover boot menu. In the clover boot menu select the “Install macOS high sierra” drive and tap “Spacebar” and check “verbose” option and click “Boot with selected option”. Booting verbose will allow you to see if any error occurs while booting.
Bootable Usb Drive Sierra
6. After successfully booting into the installer, select your preferred language and click next and then from the macOS utilities screen select “Disk Utility” and click continue.
7. Here, select the partition in which you want to install macOS. As the partition will be formatted, make sure it is empty. And also make sure the size of the partition is at least 15GB, I prefer to make the partition of size 40Gb or higher so I don’t have to resize it later. Now click on erase and then name the partition as you like, then from the “Format” drop-down menu select “APFS” and click erase.
Macos Sierra Bootable Usb
8. After formatting the partition, close the disk utility app and select “Install macOS” and click continue. Here you will be asked in which partition you want to install macOS High Sierra, select the partition you formatted in the above step and finally click on install.
Happy Hackintoshing 😉 if you get any trouble please feel free to post them in comments.