- The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Key
- The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Os
- The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Without
- Hello everyone, I'm currently having a problem when in the High Sierra Installer where when I click the first 'continue', a window pops up and says that 'The recovery server could not be contacted'. My build is as follows: i5 7400. Gigabyte H110M-A. I've used unibeast to create the install USB. Everything else seems to be going smoothly.
- I cant correct the problem trying to Fix: The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted – Mac OS Sierra Cancel Update Comment Asiya on Sunday, 22 March 2020 15:07.
Aug 17, 2021 • Filed to: Solve Mac Problems • Proven solutions
There are many issues that people may encounter while installing the macOS update. One of the common problems is that the recovery server could not be contacted. When trying to install macOS High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina, there is an error message popping up: The recovery server could not be contacted.
If your macOS update is also stopped by this error, you will find this post helpful. From this post, you will learn why the recovery server could not be contacted and how to fix it.
What Does It Mean When the Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted?
Fix Recovery Server Could Not be Contacted During macOS Recovery Check Your Network Connection. This might sound like a fairly obvious thing to do, but sometimes you will see that you aren’t connected to WiFi when you are trying to restore your Mac.
When installing a macOS update with a macOS installer, your Mac needs to reach the Apple server. When it says 'the recovery server could not be contacted, it means that your Mac failed to build a connection with the Apple server.
There are multiple culprits behind this issue.
- Your Mac is disconnected from the network. A stable network connection is required for your Mac to successfully contact the Apple server.
- The date and time on your Mac are not properly synced with the Apple recovery server.
- The Apple server is overloaded with too many users trying to installing the new update at the same time. Whenever there is a macOS update recently released, the Apple server usually experiences a busy time.
Solution 1: Check Network Connection on Mac
Firstly, you need to check if your Mac is connected to a proper internet connection. If your Mac is on a wired internet connection, you can re-plug the Ethernet cable to check.
If your Mac is using a Wi-Fi, you can access the Wi-Fi option from the top right corner of your screen to check it is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
The faster the internet, the quicker you can access the Apple recovery server.
Solution 2: Sync your Mac' Date and Time to Apple Recovery Server
If your Mac's date and times are not synced to the Apple recovery server. You can update these settings by utilizing these steps;
Step 1First of all, close the error. This will open the macOS Utilities window.
Step 2Next, you are required to choose the option 'Utilities' on the top menu bar.
Step 3You will see the option 'Terminal', double click on it.
Step 4Then type the following command line: 'ntpdate -u time.apple.com' and press enter.
Step 5The above step might take some time. Once the process is completed, you can try reinstalling the macOS update again. Hopefully, your problem will be solved.
Also if the 'ntpdate -u time.apple.com' command-line failed to fix the recovery server could not be contacted on your Mac, you can try the following command.
- Open Terminal.
- Enter date. And hit Enter key. This will show the date of your Mac.
- If the date and time are wrong, you should enter the current time with the following command line: date mmddhhssyy. For example, if it is July 20, 09:00 am, 2020, you should enter: date 0720090020 (July 20, 09:00 am, 2020,).
- After that, quit Terminal and click Reinstall macOS to run the Catalina/Mojave installer again.
Solution 3: Install the Full Version of Mojave/Catalina Installer
Some users found that when they try to install a macOS update with the update installer from App Store, it just showed the error message 'the recovery server could not be contacted'. However, after downloading a full version of the macOS installer, the installer can run without any error. Here is how you can get a full version of the macOS Catalina update.
Step 1Run Terminal.
Step 2For example, to download the full version of the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Installer Application, enter the command line as below.
- softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.3
Step 3The installer will be downloaded in the Application folder.
Step 4Run the installer to install the macOS without the recovery server error.
Solution 4: Erase Your Disk and Reinstall macOS
In case you have utilized all the above methods and have not received any good results. Only then, you can erase your hard disk and reinstall macOS. You can enter the recovery mode to erase the hard disk. After that, reinstalling macOS can solve your problem. Follow the steps properly erase your hard disk and reinstall macOS;
Step 1Firstly, you need to restart your Mac.
Step 2When the Mac is starting, you need to press and hold CDM + R keys to enter the recovery mode.
Step 3In the Recovery mode, click Disk Utility and erase the Macintosh HD volume. This will delete all your data on your Mac so make sure you have backed up your important data.
Step 4After erasing your disk, you can reinstall macOS. This time, you won't see the recovery server could not be contacted error.
If you have important data missing after the macOS update, you can get it back by using Recoverit Data Recovery software. The program is designed to recover photos, documents, videos, emails, etc. from the Mac computer after the data are deleted mistakenly or lost because of macOS reinstallation, factory reset, or virus.
The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Key
Lost data can be recovered in 3 simple steps by Recoverit: select the drive of lost data, scan the drive, recover the files.
Download the free trial version of Recoverit Data Recovery to scan and find your needed files.
Recoverit - The Best Word File Recovery Software
- Recover Word documents from all storage devices like Mac.
- Recover 1000+ types and formats of files in different situations.
- Scan and preview the files before you recover them from MacBook hard drive.
The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Os
Many users complained about the recovery server could not be contacted error. Every error is solvable, only if you apply proper solutions. And to tackle the incidents that may happen in the macOS update, you need to back up your data before implementing any of the steps. In case your data is lost, you can recover it using Recoverit Data Recovery.
The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Mac Os Sierra Without
What's Wrong with Mac
- Recover Your Mac
- Fix Your Mac
- Delete Your Mac
- Learn Mac Hacks